Trying to stick to your New Year’s Resolution of eating healthier? This Wintry Kale Salad will help you stay on track. It’s kale-filled, squash-laden and bursting with pomegranate seeds, feta-cheese crumbles and toasted walnuts. Drizzle some mustard balsamic ginger dressing on top and your healthy kale just became delicious too!
Ingredients: *Serves 4
- 4 cups kale
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash
- 1/2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts
- Feta cheese for topping
- Pomegranate seeds for topping
Mustard Balsamic Ginger Dressing:
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp. honey mustard
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tsp. honey
- 2 tsp. turmeric
- 2 tsp. fresh ginger (less or more to taste)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
Roast the squash.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. With a vegetable peeler, remove the skin on the squash. Slice the squash in half the long way and scoop out the seeds and goop. Cut into small bite-sized cubes.
- Toss with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 40-45 minutes, until fork tender. (If you over-roast, they can become mushy)!
Make the dressing.
- Peel the ginger and mince into tiny pieces.
- Mix together the balsamic vinegar, mustard, salt, honey, turmeric and ginger and then slowly stir in the olive oil. Set aside.
Prep the pomegranate.
- Gently run a knife through the pomegranate skin all the way around the pomegranate. Don’t cut all the way through. Once you have sliced all the way around the pomegranate, gently prod it open.
- Working with one half at a time, hold the pomegranate over a bowl and beat the back with a wooden spoon, so seeds fall into the bowl. Peel back the skin as you go to expose more seeds. Repeat until all seeds are dislodged.
Assemble the salad.
- In a large serving bowl, combine kale, roasted squash and sliced avocado. Top with toasted walnuts, feta cheese and pomegranate seeds.
- Toss with desired amount of dressing.
For more recipes like this, visit Kiwi & Carrot, produced by our food blogger, Sarah Romero.