This Veggie Fried Rice is the ultimate comfort food and perfect for using up extra veggies! If your leftover veggies are getting a little soft, just sauté them with some coconut oil and rice, and add an egg or two. You avoid wasting expensive produce and you can have a delicious veggie-packed meal in minutes!
Ingredients: *Serves 4-6
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 2 cups chicken broth + 1/4 cup
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 cups chopped eggplant
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- ½ cup chopped red pepper
- ½ cup chopped mushrooms
- ½ cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1 small can water chestnuts
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. ground coriander
- 4 eggs
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Toppings: green onions, red pepper flakes, soy sauce
- Boil 2 cups of chicken broth in a saucepan. Stir in rice, turn heat to low, and cover with lid. Simmer for 20 minutes, or until rice is soft and water is absorbed.
- While rice is cooking, chop veggies.
- Heat coconut oil in a large skillet. Add eggplant, zucchini, red pepper and mushrooms and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Add corn, drained water chestnuts, garlic and spices. Stir to combine and heat 2-3 minutes.
- Add cooked rice and 1/4 cup chicken broth. Stir to combine and heat another 2-3 minutes, allowing veggies and rice to soak up liquid.
- Push rice and veggie mixture to one side of the pan. Crack eggs into the skillet and mix around, scrambling them. Allow to cook until eggs begin to firm, then push eggs into rice mixture. Stir gently to mix and season with salt and pepper.
- Top with chopped green onion, red pepper flakes and soy sauce.
- Feel free to substitute any of the veggies with what’s in your fridge!
For more recipes like this, visit Kiwi & Carrot, produced by our food blogger, Sarah Romero.