Eating a big bowl of chili on Halloween is a tradition many people look forward to. But if you’re ready to mix things up just a bit, this year try Vegetarian Lentil Chili! Just as hearty and flavorful as tradition chili, this veggie-packed version will give you the energy boost you need to get through all that trick-or-treating!
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 large yellow onion
- 6 stalks celery
- 1 red pepper
- 3 carrots
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp cumin
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. coriander
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 1-2 chipotle peppers in adobo
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup red or orange lentils
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large pot. Dice the onions, celery and peppers and add to the pot, allowing to sauté in the oil until onions are translucent and soft, stir occasionally. (Use low heat so they don’t burn!)
- Peel and chop carrots into bite-sized chunks and add to the pot.
- Add the garlic, cumin, chili powder, coriander and paprika and stir to coat vegetables. Heat for one to two minutes, until the spices create a strong aroma.
- Mash chipotles and add to pot, along with tomatoes, water and lentils. Simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer until the lentils are soft, about 30 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and garnish with grated cheese, plain Greek yogurt and cilantro, if desired.
For more recipes like this, visit Kiwi & Carrot, produced by our food blogger, Sarah Romero.