Happy Halloween! We hope you have some fun plans to celebrate! If you have friends or family coming over dinner, here is an incredibly easy spaghetti sauce recipe that will please a crowd. It’s especially good for your little ones because it’s loaded with “hidden” veggies. This recipe also doubles or triples easily, and the extras can be frozen for months!
Ingredients: *8-10 servings
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 carrot, peeled
- 2 celery sticks
- 1 lb. spicy Italian sausage (see notes)
- 1 lb. regular Italian sausage
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- ½ cup fresh basil
- ¼ cup fresh parsley
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 (15-oz.) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (15-oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15-oz.) can stewed Italian tomatoes
- Pasta to serve 8-10
- Parmesan cheese for garnish
- Chop the onion, zucchini, carrot and celery into small pieces and add to a large pot with the olive oil.
- Sauté over medium-low heat until the vegetables are soft. Add the sausage and cook until cooked through, stirring often.
- Add the mushrooms, garlic, basil, parsley, oregano and sugar and cook until the mushrooms are soft, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the canned tomato sauces and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve over cooked pasta and sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.
*Note: The spicy sausage adds quite a bit of a spice. If you prefer a milder sauce, substitute it with a lb. of regular sausage.
For more recipes like this, visit Kiwi & Carrot, produced by our food blogger, Sarah Romero.