This crowd-pleasing recipe really steals the show from even the turkey! Filled with bacon, pine nuts, leeks, and apples, it’s the perfect blend of sweet and savory, so you really can’t go wrong!
PREP TIME: 50 MIN | COOK TIME: 30 MIN | TOTAL TIME: 1 hr 20 MIN
● 5 cups french bread, cut into chunks
● 5 cups whole wheat bread, cut into chunks
● 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
● 3 cups leeks, sliced
● 3 celery rib, chopped
● 2 teaspoon thyme leaves, chopped
● 2 Granny Smith apple, diced
● 1 teaspoon kosher salt
● 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh pepper
● 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, minced
● 8 ounces peppered bacon, cooked and diced
● 1⁄2 cup pine nuts
● 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Cover a cookie sheet with aluminum foil, then cover with nonstick spray.
3. Spread out the bread chunks onto the cookie sheet into a single layer.
4. Bake for about 30 minutes to make sure that the bread is completely dried out. Transfer to a large bowl.
5. Raise the oven temperature to 425°F.
6. In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
7. Add the leeks, celery, thyme, apple, salt, and pepper. Cook until leeks are tender.
8. Add the leek mixture to the bread.
9. Stir in the pine nuts, parsley, and bacon.
10. Add the chicken stock and gently toss until all of the liquid is absorbed.
11. Cover a cookie sheet in foil, then cover with nonstick spray.
12. Transfer the stuffing to the cookie sheet.
13. Bake for 30 min.
The nutrition team at iFit is dedicated to providing delicious recipes that are quick, easy, and healthy! For more recipes be sure to follow @iFit.