Fresh tomatoes, bacon, onion, garlic and chipotles…There’s no better comfort food than simple homemade spicy tomato soup!
• 6 slices thick-cut bacon
• 1 large red or yellow onion
• 12-14 large tomatoes (about 4 pounds)
• 4 cloves garlic
• 4 cups chicken stock
• 2 Tbsp. chipotles in adobo
• 1 Tbsp. fresh or 1 tsp. dried oregano
• 1 Tbsp fresh parsley
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 1/2 cup half and half
1. Cut bacon into bite-sized pieces and brown in large skillet. Set bacon aside and drain pan of all but about 1 Tbsp. bacon grease.
2. Chop onions and add to reserved grease. Saute until soft.
3. Roughly chop tomatoes. Add tomatoes and garlic to pan. Cook for one minute.
4. Add all the ingredients except half and half. Bring to boil, turn down heat and simmer 20-30 minutes.
5. Cool slightly. Add to blender in batches and blend to a smooth consistency.
6. Stir in half and half.
*Note: Add more or less chipotles depending on your preference for heat. They add a wonderful smoky taste, but also a lot of spicy heat. Start small and taste as you go!
For more recipes like this, visit Kiwi & Carrot, produced by our food blogger, Sarah Romero.