I love expanding my family’s culinary experiences by exploring recipes from other countries. This slow cooker recipe is a time-saving version of the traditional Cuban dish Ropa Vieja. Full of shredded steak and an addictive, flavorful tomato sauce and veggies, it’s delicious, tender, and hearty—similar to a meat stew. This slow-cooker version makes this recipe a simple, hands-off meal. To keep things traditional, I like serving it over rice with a side of beans.
PREP TIME: 15 MIN | COOK TIME:8 HRS | TOTAL TIME: 8 HRS 15 MIN
Makes 8 servings. (Serving size: 1 cup)
220 calories per serving
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 11⁄2-2 pounds skirt steak
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 2 carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 beef bullion cubes ( about 2 teaspoons powder)
- 2 (8-ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2⁄3 cup frozen peas
1. Mix together garlic and spices.
2. Cover each side of the steak with the spices.
3. Place the steak in the bottom of a slow cooker.
4. Add the onion, carrot, red bell and red bell pepper.
5. Top with the water, bouillon cubes, and tomato sauce.
6. Cook on low for 8 hours.
7. Shred the steak.
8. Cook the peas in a separate pan, according to package directions.
9. Add to the slow cooker.
10. Serve over rice!
The nutrition team at iFit is dedicated to providing delicious recipes that are quick, easy, and healthy! For more recipes be sure to follow @iFit.