Trying to eat healthier or cut out carbs? This low-carb “pasta” replaces the noodles with zucchini, but you don’t even miss the carbs! Try these zoodles with a homemade pesto sauce and add some chicken for a filling and healthy meal.
Ingredients: *serves 4-6
- 4 small zucchini
- 2 cups shredded or cubed chicken
- 6 mushrooms, sliced
- 3 large mushrooms, chopped
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- *Pesto to taste
*The pesto recipe below makes about 2 cups. Add as much or as little as you’d like to your zoodles, then refrigerate or freeze the rest.
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 3 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- ½ cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Make the pesto. In a food processor or powerful blender, mix together the pine nuts, garlic, basil and cheese. Slowly add the oil while mixing and then add in the salt and pepper. Blend until completely mixed. Set aside.
- Using a *spiralizer, cut the zucchini into “noodles.”
*Spiralizers can be bought at Walmart, Bed Bath & Beyond, on Amazon, etc., for cheap. If you don’t have a spiralizer, just use a knife to cut the zucchini into long, thin strips.
- Heat a medium-sized pan and add the zoodles, chicken, mushrooms, salt, pepper and a few spoonfuls of pesto sauce. Stir continually so it doesn’t burn.
- Once the zoodles are warm and the mushrooms are cooked (but still slightly firm,) add the tomatoes. Allow the tomatoes to warm for a minute or so, and then remove from the heat.
- Serve immediately.