Boneless, skinless chicken breasts are a staple for a lot of people. Chicken is cheap, versatile and it packs a punch of protein. But do you ever get tired of your usual chicken dinners? Try out this One-Skillet Creamy Chicken with Mushrooms! It’s made with coconut milk, garlicky mushrooms and a splash of white wine for a delicious flavor and creamy texture. And it only takes one skillet to make!
Ingredients: *Serves 4-6
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 heaping cups brown mushrooms
- 1-2 shallots, diced
- 1 tsp. crushed garlic (2-3 garlic cloves)
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 2 cups chicken broth + more if needed
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 tsp. dried parsley
- ¼ cup + 4 tsp. dry white wine
- In a large cast-iron skillet, heat ½ Tbsp. olive oil. Add the diced shallots and allow to cook until soft, two to three minutes.
- Add garlic and mushrooms and allow to cook for three to four minutes, then add a few spoonfuls of coconut milk and 4 tsp. white wine. Add a pinch of salt and few grinds of pepper.
- Cook until mushrooms are soft. Remove from the pan, set aside and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Generously salt and pepper the chicken. In the same skillet, heat ½ Tbsp. olive oil and add the chicken breasts. On medium heat, cook the chicken breasts on one side, allowing to get brown and crispy. (About eight minutes).
- Flip over and cook for another minute and then add the coconut milk, chicken broth, thyme, parsley and white wine.
- Cover and cook for another five to six minutes, then add the mushrooms and continue to cook until the chicken is cooked through and reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Serve with the mushroom sauce over the top.
*Note: This dish goes well with roasted vegetables such as asparagus or brussel sprouts. Also great over cooked brown rice or whole-wheat pasta.
For more recipes like this, visit Kiwi & Carrot, produced by our food blogger, Sarah Romero.