Emily Merkley, association executive, Cache Valley Association of Realtors
- Clean your light fixtures and bulbs. Your home will appear 30 percent brighter, without turning on more lights.
- Dig out your slow cooker. Nothing says warm and cozy like opening the door to an aroma that makes your mouth water. Even better, slow cookers are more energy efficient than electric ovens.
- Bring home nature. Many indoor plants, like golden pothos and gerbera daisies, are particularly adept at sucking up nasty VOCs, the vapors emitted from household cleaners. Since plants increase humidity levels, they help decrease household dust.
- Change the furnace filter. This prevents excess dust and allergens from circulating. Bad air can get you down.
- Let the sunlight in. Clean your windows to let in more natural sunlight.