This summer try making your own homemade ice cream. It’s much healthier than store-bought, which contain artificial additives, and it tastes better too! This recipe makes a creamy mint ice cream with crunchy chunks of Oreo cookie.
- 2 cans sweetened condensed milk
- 1 quart whipping cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 quart milk (either low fat or whole milk)
- 2-3 tsp. pure mint extract (to taste)
- 1 tsp. spirulina or few drops of green food coloring (optional—see notes)
- 1 whole box of mint or original Oreos
*Note: Spirulina is a superfood powder that is high in protein, antioxidants and contains 9 essential amino acids. You can buy it at most health food stores. If you choose to omit it, your ice cream will be white instead of green. Or, you can use food coloring instead.
- Add everything except the Oreos to an ice cream maker.
- Mix the ice cream according to the directions on your ice cream maker.
- Crush the Oreos into bite-sized pieces.
- Before you harden off the ice cream (in maker or freezer) gently fold in the Oreo chunks.
- Harden the ice cream and enjoy!
For more recipes like this, visit Kiwi & Carrot, produced by our food blogger, Sarah Romero.