Makes 12 servings | Serving size: 1 cup
This healthy take on zuppa toscana is just as delicious and the perfect way to warm up during the cold winter days. The soup has the perfect amount of spice, but if you are like me and love to add a little extra heat, try topping it with some crushed red pepper.
● 1 pound Italian turkey sausage
● 1 large white onion, diced
● 1 tablespoon minced garlic
● 9 cups chicken broth
● 6 russet potatoes, cubed
● 1⁄2 cup half and half
● 1⁄2 cup milk
● 8 cups Kale, deveined
● Crushed red pepper (optional, but highly recommended)
1. In a large pot, cook the Italian sausage over medium heat. Once the sausage is cooked through, remove it from the pot and set aside.
2. Add the onion and garlic. Sauté for about 5 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
3. Add the chicken broth, potatoes, and sausage. Cook for about 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
4. Add the half and half, milk, and kale. Cook for 5 more minutes.
5. Dish out warm and top with crushed red pepper, if desired.
The nutrition team at iFit is dedicated to providing delicious recipes that are quick, easy, and healthy! Our expert dietitians develop, create, and taste-test thousands of recipes every year, releasing new creations on the iFit blog each month. Go to blog.iFit.com to check them out!