“If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.” Or even better, Lemon Sugar Cookies! There’s just something about the bright color, fresh taste and smell of lemons. These cookies are the perfect not-too-sweet treat to celebrate the upcoming warm weather.
- 1 cup butter, slightly softened but still cold
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- Zest from two lemons
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 3 cups flour
- Approx. 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla, eggs, juice and zest and blend.
- Add dry ingredients (except powdered sugar) and blend just until combined.
- Place powdered sugar in bowl.
- Form heaping teaspoons of dough and roll in powdered sugar.
- Place on greased cookie sheets (or use parchment or baking mats).
- Bake 8-9 minutes.
Notes: *It’s essential to use fresh lemon juice and lots of zest!
*Don’t over bake. These cookies will still be pale when they are done. If they brown at all, they’ll be tough.
*Lemon cookies freeze very well, and can be doubled for a crowd.
For more recipes like this, visit Kiwi & Carrot, produced by our food blogger, Sarah Romero.