We’re not letting go of our summer berries quite yet! This kale salad is a tasty combo of crunchy nuts, sweet berries and creamy blue cheese chunks, drizzled with a nutty walnut dressing. This is a fun recipe for this time of year because it combines fresh berries of summer with the nutty flavors of autumn. Don’t wait too long to make this one because those tasty berries are on their way out!
Ingredients: *Serves 4
- 6-8 cups kale, de-stemmed and chopped
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked
- 1 cup strawberries
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 3 large beets
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup pistachios
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- Desired amount of blue cheese crumbles (can be substituted with feta cheese or shaved Parmesan).
- ½ cup walnut oil (see notes)
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp. honey mustard
- 1 Tbsp. plain Greek yogurt
- Pinch of salt
- Combine the walnut oil, balsamic vinegar, honey mustard, yogurt and salt in a jar or dressing bottle and shake until mixed. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine kale, quinoa, strawberries, blueberries, beets, pumpkin seeds, pistachios and dried cranberries. Toss with salad dressing and sprinkle with blue cheese.
- Serve immediately.
*Walnut oil can be found at most local grocery stores. Tourangelle’s Roasted Walnut Oil is an affordable brand that tastes great!
For more recipes like this, visit Kiwi & Carrot, produced by our food blogger, Sarah Romero.