Hailey Westenskow, contributing writer
Shopping smaller makes gifts greater. Doesn’t that sound ironic? This means the impact of the gift reaches beyond the person receiving it — it supports the local community to grow and flourish, and, even more directly, supports local families who own businesses.
One of the most beautiful things about the holiday season is the chance to give freely and connect with others. For many, this means getting small “neighbor gifts” to drop off at the homes closest to their own.
When shopping for gifts like these, consider small, local businesses that support the community. Whether it’s for a next-door neighbor, a youth leader, a teacher, a coworker, or just a good friend, the following list is a great place to start for gift ideas that support our local community:
- Bluebird Candy has served Cache Valley since 1914 and is a great place to shop for delightful chocolates, candies, and more. They even have pre-made and wrapped gift boxes ready for pick up!
- Lee’s Marketplace now has three locations in the Valley, and each offers unique flavors of popcorn and handmade fudge that would be great as a gift by itself, or as part of a gift basket.
- Week’s Berries of Paradise makes delicious freezer jams, gourmet jams, juices, syrups, and concentrates. To elevate a gift like this, pair a jam with a loaf of homemade or locally made artisan bread from Great Harvest or Old Grist Mill.
- Cox Honeyland of Utah has a variety of honey-made items, from beeswax lip balm to creamed honey, and even beautiful pre-made gift baskets.
- Floss Cotton Candy is a modern, gourmet cotton candy shop started by two girls ages 8 and 10 and has expanded to be sold in many grocery stores throughout the state. Their variety of flavors will surely have something for everyone and is an excellent gift for kids and adults.
- Alvey’s hand-crafted specialty chocolates come individually wrapped or in assorted boxes. Even just the creamy, individually wrapped chocolates are enough to make the holidays sweet!
- In Cache Valley, there is no shortage of great stops for ice cream. Give the gift of a “date night” and get gift cards to Casper’s, Charlie’s, or Aggie Ice Cream. To make it a fun basket or bundle, pair with some of your favorite ice cream toppings.
- A gift card to Rocky Mountain Dermatology is a perfect opportunity to show someone you’re grateful for their hard work by giving the gift of a medical spa treatment. They offer a wide variety of facials, and even more options to help everyone find something catered to their needs.
- Rose Haven Skin Bar or K Salon and Spa are both designed to provide a place for all to take a break from worries and troubles and enjoy spa treatments such as massages, pedicures, manicures, and more. This is a great gift, especially for that person in your life or neighborhood who could use some time to relax.
- LazyOne has many fun and cozy gifts that everyone will love. Soft and silly slippers, warm and funny socks, and even pajama sets.
- A floral rotation from Plant Peddler is the gift that keeps giving. Gifting a subscription to someone you love means fresh blooms delivered to their home or office every 9 to 13 weeks.
- Give the gift of reading. Stop by The Book Table and pick up your favorite book to share with a friend. They also have a wide variety of toys and home décor that will allow you to check off many people on your shopping list in one stop!
- For those who either love to cook or have a hard time in the kitchen, food classes and kitchen tools and gadgets from Love to Cook are great gifts that will benefit the receiver for years to come.
- Of course, Local’s Gifts is the perfect local one-stop shop to find gifts.