This homemade barbecue sauce is a great addition to your Memorial Day weekend! Don’t be scared away by the long list of ingredients…it’s worth the work. This sauce is not only better for you than store-bought, but it tastes amazing and lasts in the fridge for months!
• 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
• 1 large yellow onion, chopped
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 cup tomato paste (10 oz.)
• 1 cup apple cider vinegar
• 1 cup honey
• ½ cup Worcestershire sauce
• 1 cup Dijon mustard
• ½ cup soy sauce
• 1 cup hoisin sauce
• 1 Tbsp. chili powder
• 1 Tbsp. cumin powder
• ½ Tbsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1. Add the vegetable oil to a large saucepan and sauté the onions and garlic on low heat until the onions are translucent—about 10 minutes. (Make sure they don’t brown!)
2. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer uncovered on low heat for 30 minutes.
3. Store in the refrigerator for up to three months.
For more recipes like this, visit Kiwi & Carrot, produced by our food blogger, Sarah Romero.