Are you looking for a way to give your dinner plate a fresh look as a part of this new year? This herb and cheese pan bread is easy to make and a great alternative to your usual dinner rolls. Made with oats and smothered in herbs, cheese and butter, this bread is sure to be a new favorite at the dinner table.
- 1½ cups boiling water
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- ½ cup warm water (110 to 115 degrees)
- ¼ cup sugar
- 3 Tbsp. butter, softened
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- 4 to 4¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. garlic powder (or 1 clove garlic, minced)
- In a small bowl, combine the boiling water and oats. Cool to 110-115 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast in warm water and add the sugar, butter, salt, egg, oat mixture and 2 cups of flour. With a dough hook on an electric mixer, mix until smooth. Slowly add the remaining flour until a soft dough forms.
- Leave the dough in the mixer and knead on medium speed for 6-8 minutes, until smooth and elastic. *If you don’t have a dough hook, you can turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead by hand for 6-8 minutes.
- Once kneaded, cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a light kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place until the dough has doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- After the dough has doubled, punch it down. Press it evenly into a greased 13’’ X 9’’ X 2’’ baking pan. Using a sharp knife, cut horizontal lines 1½ inches apart completely through the dough. Repeat in the opposite direction, creating small squares in the dough. *There should be about 6 rolls by 4 rolls in the pan. Cover and let rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Gently cut along the lines in the dough to redefine the pattern. Brush with 2 Tbsp. of melted butter. Bake for 15 minutes. While the bread is baking, combine the Parmesan cheese, basil, oregano and garlic. Brush the bread with the remaining butter and sprinkle the cheese mixture on top. Bake for 5 minutes. Cover loosely with foil and bake for another 5 minutes. Serve warm.