December has officially come! And here in Cache Valley, that means cold. Really cold. So here’s a little treat to help warm you up in a delicious way. Homemade Heavenly Hot Chocolate is a simple and tasty alternative to store-bought cocoa mixes. Make a big batch, and sip it all week long!
Ingredients: *Serves 10-15
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- Milk, preferably whole or 2%
- Cook chocolate and water in small pan over low heat until chocolate has melted, stirring often.
- Add sugar and salt, and cook, stirring constantly, until sugar is melted completely and mixture thickens slightly.
- Cool completely. (Mixture can be put in refrigerator to cool.)
- Whip cream until very stiff. Add vanilla.
- Fold cooled chocolate mixture into cream very carefully until combined.
- Heat milk until piping hot but not boiling.
- Add chocolate mixture to milk…one to three heaping tablespoons per cup of milk…and stir until combined.
- Top with mallows if desired.
For more recipes like this, visit Kiwi & Carrot, produced by our food blogger, Sarah Romero.