Megan Ostler, MS, RDN, @meganjanesplate
These little bites make the perfect, packable snack or satisfying dessert. They taste just like gingerbread cookie dough, but thanks to the fiber and healthy fats from the nuts and oats, they are super filling. Make them extra festive by dipping them in white chocolate and adding a few holiday sprinkles.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Makes 20 large (40 small) bites
Serving size: 1 bite
2 cups whole, unsalted almonds
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup old-fashioned oats
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
3 Tablespoons molasses
1/4 cup water (add 1 Tablespoon at a time to desired consistency)
1. Preheat oven to 400-degree Farhenheit.
2. On a cookie sheet, spread the almonds, walnuts, and oats evenly.
3. Toast for 8-10 minutes until the nuts start to release their oil and become fragrant.
4. Remove from oven and add to the food processor.
5. Blend until well chopped and starting to form a dough. You may need to scrap the sides.
6. Continue blending and add the remaining ingredients through the opening at the top of the food processor. Add 1 Tablespoon of water at a time until a dough forms. Again, you may need to scrap the sides to help everything get incorporated.
7. Once a thick dough forms, roll into balls.
8. These are ready to eat, but if you want to make them extra festive, you can drip them in melted chocolate.
Allow to cool and enjoy!