Emily Buckley, editor in chief
Next weekend gamers of all ages will gather at the second annual MyCon Gaming Convention, the world’s only indoor-outdoor gaming convention, held in Logan, Utah.
The event will take place at the Cache County Events Center (490 S. 500 W. in Logan), beginning Friday, August 16 at 9 a.m. and will go all day, through the night, and all day again on Saturday, August 17 until 6 p.m. when raffle, game, and auction winners will be announced.
“This is an event for all ages,” Charlotte Maynard, MyCon owner. “It is about having fun as a family and getting to spend time together doing things you love. If one family member loves playing video games, come play video games for a while. If someone else likes board games, do that for a while. Then, if someone can’t still for that long, head outside and play some of the outdoor games. There really is something for everyone.”
MyCon features an enormous 1,000+ tabletop (board, dice, and strategy) game library, several hundred video games to be played on big screens, RPG (roll play games), virtual reality and simulation games inside and bounce house and carnival games outside.
“We brought this event to Cache Valley because, although there is huge gaming community here, there really was no event like this,” Charlotte said. “Even if you have never been to a gaming convention, you are invited to come have fun and see what it is all about.”
Additional highlights of the event include:
- Super Mario Kart tournament with Miss Utah Dexonna Talbotwhere players can buy in to play with her and help SafeUT. They can also learn about her Social Impact Initiative, “Servesteem – Increasing Self-Esteem Through Service”
- Drone Races hosted by CAPSA
- A kid’s corner sponsored by CAPSA, where kids can play while parents explore the event
- Food Vendors
- Man vs. Food competition by Center Street Grill
- Panel discussions and book signings by local authors and gaming experts
- 8-player Nintendo Switch tournaments
- Cosplay contest (family appropriate and peace-bonded)
- A silent charity auction to benefit CAPSA
- Play-to-win games
- Pet adoption opportunities from the Cache Humane Society
- Animals visiting from Zootah.
Mature games will be available only after 9 p.m. in an effort to maintain a family friendly atmosphere throughout the day. “The event is designed to be safe and fun environment,” Charlotte said.
Tickets for the two-day event (including reentry) are $20 in advance at MyCon.me or at the door for $25. Children ages 8 and under are free and family pass for up to six is available for $50. Use the code CVFM2908 to get $5 off tickets, including family passes! For tickets, additional information, and a growing list of event highlights visit MyCon.me.