contributed by Sherelle Christensen, sherellechristensen.typepad.com
Summer brings an explosion of color in the garden, and each July, you can surely find my crew tromping through the raspberry patch filling pails (and tummies) with freshly ripened raspberries. We have found many ways to enjoy their sweet and tangy flavor, but this cake is at the top of the list. This cake is bursting with tangy berry flavor, and the simple caramel glaze puts it over the top!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups fresh raspberries
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time beating well.
- Add extracts and then add flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Gently fold in raspberries (I usually coat my raspberries with a little flour first).
- Grease 2 standard bread pans and coat them with a mixture of cinnamon and sugar. Divide batter between the pans.
- Bake for about 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean. (I like to cover mine with tinfoil about halfway through bake time so that the top doesn’t get too dark).
- Remove from oven and cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing cake from pan onto wire rack. Glaze while warm.
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream
Combine in a small saucepan until warm and bubbly. Pour over warm bread.