Whitney Crosbie, contributing writer, Play in 5 Kits
- Use clear containers in your playroom to store toys. This helps your child quicly see what toys are available.
- Set something up for your child to continue playing with. Maybe you set out a few dolls with teacups in their hands or a block tower partially built.
- Start playing with your child and tell them you’ll be back in five minutes. Give them a timer to watch and then come back and continue playing. Slowly increase the time.
- When a playmate isn’t available, encourage your child to use dolls or stuffed animals as a substitute.
- Remember, it takes time! Independent play is a skill!