What’s better on a cool autumn day than a crispy Panini oozing with melted cheese? A Panini dipped in homemade butternut squash soup.
This turkey and avocado Panini is made with Cache Valley’s finest cheese. Gossner Foods has a wide selection of cheeses to choose from, so it’s easy to please your entire family. The butternut squash soup cooks itself in the crockpot, which makes this an easy meal to throw together for a busy school night.
Ingredients: *serves 4-6
For the Butternut Squash Soup:
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and chopped into cubes
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled and chopped
- 2 (14 oz) cans vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Garnishes: Plain Greek yogurt/sour cream, pecans (optional)
- Place the onion, carrots, butternut squash and apple in the crockpot. Pour the vegetable/chicken broth on top. Cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- Once the vegetables are soft, puree in a blender or food processer. Add the cinnamon, nutmeg, maple syrup and salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Garnish with plain Greek yogurt/sour cream and pecans if desired. Serve immediately.
*Soup recipe adapted from two peas and their pod.
For the Turkey Avocado Paninis:
- 4-6 sub rolls
- Richmond sliced turkey breasts (found at Gossner Foods)
- Gossner Food’s hot pepper cheese (omit if you dislike spicy foods)
- Gossner Food’s Monterey jack cheese
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Honey mustard
- Preheat the Panini maker. *If you don’t have a Panini maker, you can broil the sandwich in the oven or heat on the stove like a grilled cheese sandwich.
- Slice the sub rolls in half and spread honey mustard on one half. Place the sliced cheese, turkey and avocado on top and close with the other bread half.
- Grill in the Panini maker until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden brown and crunchy. Dip in the butternut squash soup and enjoy!