This soup was a popular request among our iFit team! It was even inspired by one of our team members who requested that we make a soup loaded with sausage and tortellini. We beefed it up with delicious veggies, and even found a way to make it extra creamy without the calorie-loaded, heavy cream. Trust me, if you are looking for a hearty soup this one is sure to satisfy.
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 30 min
Makes: 10 servings
Serving size: 1 cup
1 pound turkey Italian sausage
1 yellow onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
4 large carrots, peeled and diced
4 celery ribs, diced
1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
1⁄4 cup flour
9 cups chicken broth
12 ounces cheese tortellini
10 ounces spinach
1 cup half and half
Salt to taste
1. In a large pot, cook the Italian sausage over medium heat. Once the sausage is cooked through, remove it from the pot and set aside.
2. Add the onions, garlic, carrots, and celery. Sauté for about 5 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
3. Add the seasonings and dust the vegetables with flour. Allow to cook for 10 minutes, stirring continuously.
4. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil.
5. Once the soup is boiling, add the tortellini and cook for 8 minutes or until desired tenderness.
6. Turn heat down to medium and add the spinach and half and half. Cook for an additional 5 minutes.
7. Serve warm.
The nutrition team at iFit is dedicated to providing delicious recipes that are quick, easy, and healthy! Our expert dietitians develop, create, and taste-test thousands of recipes every year, releasing new creations on the iFit blog each month. Go to blog.iFit.com to check them out!