Looking for a new way to do dessert? Try this Coconut Sticky Rice with Fresh Mangos — a traditional Thai treat. This recipe is a fun way to mix things up for a deliciously creamy and sweet dessert. Don’t get stuck in the winter blues; eat some mango and coconut and your taste buds will think you’re somewhere tropical!
Ingredients: *4-6 servings
- 2 cups glutinous rice, soaked overnight
- 1 (13.5 oz.) can full-fat coconut milk
- ¼ cup water
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 ½ tsp. Kosher salt
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1 ½ Tbsp. sugar
- 2 mangos, peeled and sliced into thin strips
- Put the rice in a large saucepan and cover completely with water. Soak overnight or for at least six hours.
- Drain the soaked rice and place in a steamer over a pot of simmering water. Cover and steam until the rice is soft, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- While the rice is steaming, combine the coconut milk, water, sugar and salt in a large saucepan and heat until the sugar and salt are dissolved, stirring continuously. Remove from heat and set aside.
- When the sticky rice is done steaming, transfer to the large saucepan with the coconut sauce and stir until the rice is completely coated. Cover and simmer on low heat for five to 10 minutes while the rice absorbs the coconut sauce.
- In a small saucepan, combine the coconut milk, sugar and salt. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat and simmer until thickened, about seven to eight minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Place a serving of sticky rice on a plate next to mango slices and pour 1-2 Tbsp. of the coconut sauce on top.
For more recipes like this, visit Kiwi & Carrot, produced by our food blogger, Sarah Romero.