Homemade curry can be intimidating because of the long list of ingredients…but don’t be scared away. This coconut curry is absolutely worth the effort! It’s full of rich flavor and has just the right amount of spice. Serve it over rice or barley for a hot and hearty meal.
- 3 cups uncooked barley, white or brown rice (depending on what you want to serve the curry over.)
- 1 Tbsp. Better than Bouillon chicken base
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cans thick coconut milk
- 1 yellow squash
- 2 large mushrooms
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 4 tsp. green curry paste
- 2 tsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. fresh ginger, grated
- 1 T fish sauce
- 1 lime
- 1 handful of spinach
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 6 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Cook the barley or rice according to the package.
- In a large pot, boil 8 cups of water. Once boiling, add 2 T of Better than Bouillon chicken base.
- Boil the potatoes for 5 minutes, then add the carrots, red pepper and onion and cook on high heat for 5 more minutes.
- Drain ¾ of the liquid and add the coconut milk.
- Add the squash, mushrooms, peanut butter, curry paste, curry powder, grated ginger, fish sauce and lime.
- Cook on low for 15 minutes, then add the spinach, cilantro and basil and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Serve on top of barley or rice and garnish with cilantro.
For more recipes like this, visit Kiwi & Carrot, produced by our food blogger, Sarah Romero.