These cold winter days call for warm soup! A creamy mix of smoky and sweet flavors, Chipotle Butternut Squash Soup is the perfect simple lunch or supper for a busy weekday.
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 butternut squash (2 1/2 – 3 lbs.)
- 2 apples
- 1 pear
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp. chipotles in adobo
- 2 tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 – 1 cup coconut milk
- Saute onion in olive oil until soft.
- Peel and roughly chop squash, apples and pear.
- Add all ingredients except coconut milk. Bring to boil, lower heat and simmer until squash is soft.
- Add coconut milk and puree in blender until desired consistency.
- Buy fresh, chopped butternut squash to avoid the step of peeling and chopping.
- Add more or fewer chipotles depending on your heat preference.
- Garnish with pepitas or chopped nuts, plain Greek yogurt and cilantro.
For more recipes like this, visit Kiwi & Carrot, produced by our food blogger, Sarah Romero.