Makes 5 servings | Serving size: 3⁄4 cup chicken tikka masala over 1⁄2 cup rice
2 hr 15 min
This is a classic Indian dish that’s very popular amongst novice Indian food eaters. It’s a delicious meal that’s made with charred chunks of chicken that are marinated in spices, along with creamy yogurt.
● 8 large garlic cloves, divided
● 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled, minced, and divided
● 3⁄4 cup 2% reduced-fat Greek yogurt, divided
● 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
● 31⁄2 teaspoons paprika, divided
● 11⁄2 teaspoons garam masala, divided
● 1 teaspoon ground cumin
● 3⁄4 teaspoon salt, divided
● 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper, divided
● 11⁄2 pounds skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
● 1 pound ripe tomatoes, cored and quartered
● 2 tablespoons canola oil
● 1⁄2 cup red onion, finely chopped
● 1 teaspoon ground coriander
● 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
● 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
● 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
● 21⁄2 cups cooked basmati rice
1. In a food processor, combine 4 chopped garlic cloves, 1 tablespoon ginger, 1⁄2 cup yogurt, lemon juice, 11⁄2 teaspoons paprika, 1 teaspoon garam masala, cumin, 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, and 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper.
2. Blend until smooth.
3. Pour yogurt mixture into a Ziplock bag.
4. Add the chicken, then marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
5. Make sure to turn the bag occasionally so all the chicken becomes well coated.
6. While the chicken marinates, place the tomatoes in a food processor. Blend until puréed, then set aside.
7. In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. And onion, then sauté for 4 minutes or until browned.
8. Mince the remaining 4 garlic cloves. Add garlic and 1 tablespoon ginger and continue to sauté.
9. Stir in the the coriander, 2 teaspoons paprika, turmeric, and 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper.
10. Stir in tomato purée, then bring to a boil.
11. Reduce to a simmer, then cook, covered, for 20 minutes, or until it thickens.
12. Preheat grill.
13. Thread chicken on skewers.
14. Grill your skewered chicken for three minutes, flip over, then grill for an additional 3 minutes.
15. You do not need to cook chicken through, as it’ll finish cooking in the sauce.
16. Remove chicken from the skewers, then add to the sauce to finish cooking.
17. Stir in 1⁄2 teaspoon salt and 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala.
18. Cover and continue cooking for 10 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
19. Remove from heat, then stir in 1⁄4 cup yogurt and cilantro.
20. Serve over rice.
The nutrition team at iFit is dedicated to providing delicious recipes that are quick, easy, and healthy! Our expert dietitians develop, create, and taste-test thousands of recipes every year, releasing new creations on the iFit blog each month. Go to blog.iFit.com to check them out!