This Chicken Pot Pie recipe is a little different than your typical pot pie because it’s actually not a pie. It’s more of a creamy chicken stew topped with flakey biscuits. The perfect comfort food, and one your whole family will enjoy!
Ingredients: *Serves 8-10
- 2 large deli-roasted chickens
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 large yellow onions
- 4 stalks celery
- 3/4 cup flour
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 5 carrots
- 2 cups frozen or fresh peas
- 1 1/2 cups frozen pearl onions
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup half-and-half
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups flour
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1 stick cold, unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Take chicken meat off bones and cut into bite-size pieces. Set aside.
- Melt butter and oil in large sauté pan.
- Chop onions and celery and sauté until soft.
- Turn heat to “low,” sprinkle flour over veggies, and stir for about one minute.
- In the meantime, put chicken stock in pot and bring to soft boil.
- Peel and chop carrots, and add to boiling water.
- Cook carrots for a couple minutes. (They won’t be cooked completely.)
- Add stock gradually to veggie pan, stirring to incorporate flour.
- Cook on “low” for about five minutes to thicken sauce.
- Add carrots, peas, onions and chopped parsley.
- Add half-and-half and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Put mixture in 9×13 pan (or larger). Bake for about 15 minutes.
- Combine dry ingredients in mixer.
- Chop cold butter into small pieces and add to mixer. Mix on “low” until butter is about the size of peas.
- Add half-and-half and parsley. Mix on “low” just until dough forms.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough with rolling pin until just less than 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut dough into circles. I use the top of a 3-inch drinking glass.
- Take stew out of oven, and place biscuits tightly on top. Brush with an egg wash, if desired, and place in oven. Cook for 20-25 minutes, until biscuits are golden brown.
*If you make this ahead, place stew in the 9×13 pan, cover and refrigerate.
Make biscuits, cut them out and cover. Refrigerate separately.
Bake stew for about 25 minutes before placing biscuits on top. Then cook about 20 minutes, until biscuits are golden and stew is bubbly.
For more recipes like this, visit Kiwi & Carrot, produced by our food blogger, Sarah Romero.