Next time you’re trying to impress a guest (or just a family of picky eaters) keep these Cheesy Hasselback Potatoes in mind. They only require one pan, a knife, a cheese grater and a few simple ingredients, and before you know it, you have a gourmet-looking side dish ready to impress anyone!
Ingredients: (Serves 4)
- 4 large russet potatoes
- 1/2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 Tbsp. butter, melted
- Fresh pecorino cheese, grated (can substitute freshly-grated parmesan)
- Kosher salt and freshly-ground pepper
- Your favorite seasonings and herbs (dried thyme, oregano, basil, etc.)
- Fresh herbs for topping (we used chives)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Make 1/8” thick slices across each potato. (To help keep the slices uniform, it’s helpful to place the potato lengthwise between wooden spoons or chopsticks and slice down until hitting them).
- Place the potatoes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and brush with olive oil, making sure it gets down into the cracks.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper and any additional seasonings you’d like.
- Roast for 30 minutes, baste with butter and continue roasting for another 30 minutes.
- For the last five minutes of roasting, sprinkle the cheese over the potatoes.
- Remove from the oven when the potatoes are crispy and golden brown and the cheese is melted.
- Top with fresh herbs and serve.
*Note: Get creative! You can stuff the potato cracks with anything: bacon, sautéed peppers, feta cheese, caramelized onions, jalapeños, etc. You can also use sweet potatoes and sprinkle them with cinnamon.
For more recipes like this, visit Kiwi & Carrot, produced by our food blogger, Sarah Romero.