Stay warm this holiday season! The ultimate comfort food, Cauliflower Corn Chowder is chock-full of veggies, with just a hint of bacon and cream, the perfect warming winter soup!
Ingredients: *Serves 8-10
- 1/2 pound thick-cut bacon
- 1 yellow onion
- 4 celery stalks
- 1 red pepper
- 3/4 cup flour
- 8-10 cups chicken stock
- 4 red potatoes
- 4 carrots
- 4 large cauliflower florets
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen white corn
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme
- 2-3 Tbsp. fresh parsley
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- Dash or two of red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup heavy cream or half-and-half
- Grated sharp cheddar to garnish, optional
- Cut bacon into small pieces and fry in large stock pot until crisp. Remove and set aside.
- Drain all but about 4 Tbsp. of bacon grease.
- Chop onion, celery and red pepper into bite-size pieces and sauté in bacon grease about 5 minutes.
- Add flour and stir for one minute. Add one cup of chicken stock and stir until no flour lumps remain. Add rest of stock.
- Chop potatoes, carrots and cauliflower and add to pot, along with corn and herbs. salt and pepper to taste. Cook over medium heat until potatoes are fairly tender, 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in cream and bacon. Heat.
- Garnish with grated cheese as desired.
- For a gluten-free option, simple replace all-purpose flour with a GF blend. We’ve cooked this both ways and can’t tell a difference in flavor.
- Recipe can be doubled for a large crowd. It also tastes better with a little time, so make it a couple days ahead and just reheat slowly before serving.
For more recipes like this, visit Kiwi & Carrot, produced by our food blogger, Sarah Romero.