Wanting to do something special for your significant other for Valentine’s Day? Try this French toast made in browned butter! The browned butter creates a caramel flavor that’s absolutely unbeatable. Then, to take the flavor up even more, we added some almond and caramel extract to give sweetness and flavor without added sugar. With all of the amazing flavors, you won’t even notice that it’s made with healthier whole wheat bread instead of it’s refined white flour cousin. Happy Valentine’s Day!
Makes: 2 servings (serving size: 2 slices of French toast)
PREP TIME: 5 MIN | COOK TIME: 10 MIN | TOTAL TIME: 15 MIN
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1–2 drops almond extract
- 1–2 drops caramel extract
- Sprinkle of salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 slices whole-wheat bread
1. Mix together egg, milk, cinnamon, extracts, and salt in a shallow, wide dish.
2. Heat butter in a skillet and allow to heat until it starts to smell sweet and turn golden brown. Be sure not to let the milk solids from the butter burn.
3. Dip bread in the batter on both sides, then fry until golden brown on both sides.
4. Top with your favorite things and enjoy this indulgent (but slightly healthier) breakfast—perfect for a morning in bed!
The nutrition team at iFit is dedicated to providing delicious recipes that are quick, easy, and healthy! For more recipes be sure to follow @iFit.