by Frank Schofield, superintendent, Logan City School District
Hello, Cache Valley! This time of year is when many of us focus on plans for the future. We think of what we want to accomplish in the coming year and make goals to get there. As part of this process, it’s always beneficial to review our accomplishments to build on prior successes.
We recently did this in the Logan City School District, and it has been exciting to see how the teachers and students in our schools have excelled. Some of these include:
- We have four official “The Leader in Me” elementary schools.
- Four of our six elementary schools
have been recognized as Title I
“Distinguished Schools of the Year.”
- Mount Logan Middle School has been a “School to Watch” for the past five years.
- In the last 10 years, Logan High School athletes have earned 45 region championships and 10 state
- For the past eight years, Logan High
School has had 51 “National Merit
Scholar” semi-finalists, and 95 percent of those were finalists.
- The LHS Academic Olympiad team
has placed first overall five times in the last 10 years, competing against 23-25 teams each year.
- In the last four years, Logan High
School went from having the seventh-highest mean score on the SAT in the state of Utah to having the second highest mean score (1918).
- Forty-two percent of our students at Logan High School take at least three advanced placement classes, and 74 percent of them pass the tests.
These are all significant accomplishments that reflect the efforts of our students, staff and community. As we consider our long-term vision as a school district, I hope we can build on these past successes to become one of the flagship districts in the state of Utah. We have much to be proud of and to celebrate. As with any organization, we also have room to improve. As we recognize current successes and chart a course for future advancement, I am confident that we will be able to provide for all the students in the Logan City School District. Thank you for your participation and support as we continue this work together.