PREP TIME: 20 MIN | COOK TIME: 40 MIN | TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
There’s nothing as comforting as a slice of apple pie. This recipe is a healthier version, and is absolutely beautiful with a rose design on top.
For the pie crust
● 1⁄2 cup all purpose flour
● 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
● 1 tablespoons sugar
● 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
● 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
● 2 Tablespoons nonfat Greek yogurt
● 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil
● 2 tablespoons ice water
For the filling
● 3 Pink lady apples
● 3 Granny Smith apples
● 1 tablespoon lemon juice
● 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
● 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
● 1 teaspoon cinnamon
● 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
1. Combine flour, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl.
2. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until crumbly.
3. Mix in the Greek yogurt and vegetable oil.
4. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and combine with a fork until the mixture can form a ball.
5. Lightly flour some plastic wrap, then place the dough on top. Flatten out dough. Cover with plastic
wrap, then place in the fridge for 20 minutes.
6. While dough is chilling, preheat oven to 425°F.
7. Remove dough from fridge. Roll out on a floured surface to 1⁄8 thickness.
8. Place dough in a 9-inch pie pan, then trim the edges.
9. While oven is preheating cut the apples into thin semi-circle shapes leaving the skin on.
10. Toss the apples in a large pot with the lemon juice, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon and
nutmeg. Heat on medium high heat just until the apples are soft enough to bend without breaking
about ten minutes. And remember to save the juice.
11. Carefully arrange the apple slices around the apple pie crust starting with the outside and making
your way to the center of the pie. Once you get to the center of the pie take small pieces and bend
them around each other to create the center of the rose. Try to make the apples as compact as
possible and go back and fill in any spots as necessary. You should be able to get all six apples in it.
12. Drizzle the leftover juice over the apples and bake for 30-45 minutes.
13. Cut into 8 equal slices and enjoy!
The nutrition team at iFit is dedicated to providing delicious recipes that are quick, easy, and healthy! For more recipes be sure to follow @iFit.