Around the holidays, you have the right to splurge a little. And this steak is the perfect way to splurge on a delicious meal for your family, but in the comfort of your home. This juicy filet mignon is seared to perfection, served piping hot from the oven and topped with melting bleu cheese and herb butter. And it’s actually very simple to make!
Ingredients: *Serves 4-6
- 4-6 6-ounce filet mignons
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Bleu Cheese-Herb Butter
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 4 ounces bleu cheese
- 1/4 cup (packed) fresh herbs, such as basil, rosemary, thyme, parsley
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- Take filets out of fridge and let them come to room temperature.
- While they sit, make the herb butter.
- Soften butter and bleu cheese. Lightly mash together.
- Add chopped fresh herbs, salt and pepper, and blend well.
- Form into log and roll in plastic wrap.
- Place in fridge to firm.
- Before serving, cut into tablespoon-size portions.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Liberally salt and pepper all sides of filets.
- Heat frying pan on stove over high heat until very hot.
- Add olive oil and butter.
- When butter begins to sizzle, add filets and brown on all sides. Spoon melted butter over filets as they cook. This should take about five minutes.
- Place pan in oven and roast filets 6-8 minutes. *See notes
- Top filets with tablespoon of herb butter as they come out of oven.
- Serve immediately.
- Six minutes in the oven gives you a perfectly rare filet. Leave it in longer if you don’t like it pink.
- Keep in mind some frying pans are not oven-safe. If this is the case, transfer to a baking sheet before putting in oven.
For more recipes like this, visit Kiwi & Carrot, produced by our food blogger, Sarah Romero.