This Spring Pea Risotto recipe combines creamy Arborio rice with peas, lemon zest and a touch of crispy bacon. Dinner on the table in 35 minutes!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
• 4 pieces bacon or pancetta
• 1/2 yellow onion
• 2 cups Arborio rice
• 4 cups chicken stock
• 1 cup frozen peas
• Zest of 1 lemon
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. Cut bacon into small bite-sized pieces. Add to a large, deep, skillet and cook until crispy. Remove from pan to cool.
2. Drain most of the bacon grease, leaving about 1 Tbsp. in the pan. Add diced onions and cook on low heat until translucent.
3. Turn heat to medium and add uncooked rice to the pan. Stir to coat in bacon grease.
4. Add 1/4 cup chicken stock, reduce heat to low and stir while rice absorbs the liquid. Once it’s absorbed, add another 1/4 cup and repeat until all the liquid is gone and rice is tender. (Should take about 20 minutes).
5. Once rice is tender, add frozen peas, lemon zest and bacon. Stir to incorporate. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve warm.
For more recipes like this, visit Kiwi & Carrot, produced by our food blogger, Sarah Romero.