Bring this yummy Pico de Gallo to your Cinco de Mayo party this weekend! Eat it with chips or throw it on top of your favorite tacos or enchiladas! Fresh, healthy, and delicious.
- 1/2 white onion
- 1 1/2 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 1 jalapeño
- 1 avocado
- Large handful cilantro
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2-3 tsp. ground cumin
- Drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Tortilla chips for dipping
- Dice the onion. (*Optional=soak the onions in a bowl of water with a Tbsp. of salt for at least 30 minutes. Drain and rinse well. This takes away the bite of the raw onion and is easier on sensitive stomachs.)
- Cut open the jalapeños (wear rubber gloves or put a small ziploc bag on your hand while you cut). Dig out the seeds and dispose. Dice the jalapeño.
- Cut the avocado into small bite-sized pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, onion, jalapeño, and avocado. Add the lime juice, cilantro, cumin, olive oil, and salt to taste.
- Mix well and allow to sit for a minimum of 30 minutes before serving. (We like to make it in the morning and refrigerate all day so the flavors mix together).
- Serve with tortilla chips or over your favorite Mexican dish.
For more recipes like this, visit Kiwi & Carrot, produced by our food blogger, Sarah Romero.