This Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sandwich is loaded with brie cheese, white cheddar and balsamic-sautéed shallots. It’s smeared with fig jam and honey-mustard butter for a sweet but savory flavor. Warm up some tomato soup for dipping and you have an easy weeknight dinner!
- 1 shallot
- 1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 8 slices of your favorite crusty bread
- 2 Tbsp. fig jam (more or less depending on preference!)
- 2 cups grated white cheddar cheese
- 16 thin slices of brie cheese
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2-1 tsp. honey mustard
- Slice the shallot into thin slices. Heat a skillet and add olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Allow to coat pan and add shallots. Sauté on low heat until soft and translucent.
- Prepare the sandwiches by smearing the bread with fig jam. Add the cheddar cheese, brie cheese and sautéed shallots and top with another bread slice.
- Soften the butter and mix in honey mustard. Spread on each side of sandwiches.
- Grill the sandwiches in clean skillet or griddle until the bread is golden brown, flip over and grill until cheese is melted.
- Serve warm with tomato soup (Click here for the “ultimate” tomato soup recipe!).
*Note: Some people like more cheese and fig jam, some like less. Adjust amounts to your preference!
For more recipes like this, visit Kiwi & Carrot, produced by our food blogger, Sarah Romero.