by Jeff Whipple, vice president Megaplex Theatres
1. Play Charades Take turns acting out famous movies, books or song titles and see how quickly your friends guess the title correctly. Keep a list of family-friendly words and phrases handy for impromptu fun.
2. Put on a Show Gather some friends, dig out the costumes, write a short script, practice funny accents and let your imagination run wild.
3. Make a Mini Movie Use your phone or video camera to capture the show.
4. Build a Movie Set Turn old appliance boxes, lawn furniture or other items into a western town, spaceship or other favorite movie set.
5. Start a Band Recreate the “Trashin’ the Camp” scene from Disney’s Tarzan and use old buckets, pots, pans, spoons or anything else sitting around the house or yard to build a jazzy rhythm section.
6. Un-Birthday Party Invite Alice, the Mad Hatter and other wacky characters to dress up and celebrate a spectacular holiday that applies to everyone 364 days each year.
7. Cool Off When the temperature starts to heat up in the middle of the day, take a break and enjoy a visit to the nearest air conditioned movie theatre for a matinee. There is nothing better to beat the summer heat than the cool, friendly atmosphere of a great movie.